Why buying it back is good for business and the environment
Author: Claire Bell
Your workplace is probably doing quite well when it comes to recycling. But if you’re not buying recycled, you’re only doing half the job.
Sustainability is increasingly a key part of many successful businesses and government organisations. From setting up recycling systems to installing solar panels, the benefits to businesses and the environment are numerous. Having a sustainable procurement policy is a way to reduce the environmental, social and economic impacts of purchased products, as well as demonstrate business leadership.
Planet Ark research for has found that most Australians (70%) are more likely to buy products if they know they have recycled content and 88% of Australians already purchase products containing recycled materials. By sourcing recycled products and materials, businesses will support the circular economy, where resources circulate, rather than the throwaway, linear economy of ‘take-make-use-dispose.’ can make a big difference to the negative impacts of their supply chain increasing these rates further by implementing a procurement policy that preferences products that are made with recycled content, some choices are easy to make such as switching to 100% Australian recycled office paper (like Planet Ark Paper).
In our new National Recycling Week research guide, What Goes Around: Why Buying Recycled Matters, we’ve developed a special section to help organisations develop a sustainable procurement policy, followed by some inspiring stories of innovative businesses and research projects making some amazing products out of waste.
Our tips in the guide for implementing small changes one step at a time include:
- Implement easy changes - make the easy changes first like making the switch to Planet Ark’s 100% Australian recycled office paper and Naturale’s 100% recycled paper towels (endorsed by Planet Ark).
- Engage and research suppliers – find out which of your suppliers are making good environmental choices
- Establish a ‘buy recycled’ policy – communicate this policy to your business and suppliers
In the nation’s efforts to reduce waste to landfill, local councils and government agencies are key players in putting in place sustainable procurement policies and providing leadership. There is support provided to businesses to do the same so download Planet Ark’s new Guide and be inspired!
Author: Claire BellClaire is Planet Ark's Recycling Campaign Manager. After working in the communications industry and raising a young family, she joined Planet Ark to follow her passion for helping the environment.
- Businesses urged to cease use of till receipts containing potentially harmful chemicals »
- Planet Ark meets Australia's new environment minister »
- Sustainable printing? Yes, it is possible! »
- Planet Ark to lead National Circular Economy Hub and Marketplace »
- The latest data on commercial and industrial waste »
- Research finds Aussies have faith in Planet Ark's endorsement program »