Why buying it back is good for business and the environment
Author: Claire Bell
Your workplace is probably doing quite well when it comes to recycling. But if you’re not buying recycled, you’re only doing half the job.
Sustainability is increasingly a key part of many successful businesses and government organisations. From setting up recycling systems to installing solar panels, the benefits to businesses and the environment are numerous. Having a sustainable procurement policy is a way to reduce the environmental, social and economic impacts of purchased products, as well as demonstrate business leadership.
Planet Ark research for has found that most Australians (70%) are more likely to buy products if they know they have recycled content and 88% of Australians already purchase products containing recycled materials. By sourcing recycled products and materials, businesses will support the circular economy, where resources circulate, rather than the throwaway, linear economy of ‘take-make-use-dispose.’ can make a big difference to the negative impacts of their supply chain increasing these rates further by implementing a procurement policy that preferences products that are made with recycled content, some choices are easy to make such as switching to 100% Australian recycled office paper (like Planet Ark Paper).
In our new National Recycling Week research guide, What Goes Around: Why Buying Recycled Matters, we’ve developed a special section to help organisations develop a sustainable procurement policy, followed by some inspiring stories of innovative businesses and research projects making some amazing products out of waste.
Our tips in the guide for implementing small changes one step at a time include:
- Implement easy changes - make the easy changes first like making the switch to Planet Ark’s 100% Australian recycled office paper and Naturale’s 100% recycled paper towels (endorsed by Planet Ark).
- Engage and research suppliers – find out which of your suppliers are making good environmental choices
- Establish a ‘buy recycled’ policy – communicate this policy to your business and suppliers
In the nation’s efforts to reduce waste to landfill, local councils and government agencies are key players in putting in place sustainable procurement policies and providing leadership. There is support provided to businesses to do the same so download Planet Ark’s new Guide and be inspired!
Author: Claire BellClaire has been working at Planet Ark since 2011, after working in the communications industry and raising a young family. She is passionate about her children and helping the environment. Claire is super-organised and excellent multitasker, which helps in her joint roles as Office Manager and Campaign Coordinator.
- How Cartridges 4 Planet Ark is part of the solution to plastic pollution »
- Battery industry leaders welcome support of Ministers for fast tracking a battery stewardship scheme »
- Planet Ark urges Ipswich Council to reverse decision to send valuable materials to landfill - and the Council agrees »
- Win the war on waste at work! »
- 8 ways to green your 2018 »
- Our green resolutions »