Confession: I am a podcast addict. Rarely am I without earphones firmly in, and me equally tuned in. My genres of choice vary: true crime (e.g. My Favorite Murder), trivia (e.g. No such thing as a fish), health (This podcast will kill you), general interest/human interest stories (Conversations, This American Life) and of course, sustainability.
To me, podcasts are the ideal form of entertainment: they are convenient because they allow multitasking; they are precisely targeted to my specific interests; they are low-tech (already installed on my phone); and they can be informative, motivating, inspiring, moving, uplifting, and educational.
The number of environmental and sustainability-oriented podcasts has surged over recent years – which is both satisfying to those hungry for information and heartening because there is clearly an interested audience out there. And here are some of my favourites from those many!
- Think: Sustainability – produced by 2Ser, this is an Australian production, focussing on various topics, all relating to the impact of consumption and finding a sustainable future.
- Sustainababble – Described as a comedy podcast about the environment, and it is just that. Out of the UK, this podcast is entertaining and informative and is warm and accessible.
- Sustainability defined – This US production gives another humorous take on serious issues across a range of really interesting issues.
- Costing the Earth – This podcast is produced by the BBC, so you know it’s going to be good. It is heavier than the others, but very informative and motivating.
- The Green Divas / 50 Shades of Green Divas – This is a more relaxed, chat & interview-style podcast out of the US with two lovely ladies who, as their blurb states, share low-stress ways to live a deeper shade of green.
- The Slow Home – Presented by author Brooke McAlary and her husband Ben, I found this podcast after reading her two excellent books: Slow, and Destination Simple. The podcast really is an extension of the books – discussing slow living and associated topics - and it is earthy and real and really enjoyable.
- The Sustainable Jungle – In this podcast, the two lovely hosts, Lyall and Joy share their tips, trick and hacks to living a more sustainable life. It feels like listening in to a chat with friends
- Green Dreamer – last on the list, but absolutely not least, this American podcast presents inspiring, informative and, most of all, interesting episodes all about cultivating sustainability in all areas of life and speaks to many pioneers and thought leaders in the sustainability arena.
Of course, this list isn’t exhaustive, just my favourites of those I have sampled. I’m sure there are many I haven’t stumbled across as yet that are equally wonderful. I’d love to hear about them – and hopefully, connecting and starting a conversation about these podcasts will continue the conversation the podcasts have started about environmental and sustainability issues.
See you next time! - Elise
Subscribe to Positive Environment News
Positive Environment News has been compiled using publicly available information. Planet Ark does not take responsibility for the accuracy of the original information and encourages readers to check the references before using this information for their own purposes.