True colours - how simple bin changes cut waste at ANZ Stadium
Author: Josh Cole
Australia’s second-largest stadium has reduced waste by almost 130 tonnes a year with the help of the New South Wales EPA’s Bin Trim program.
ANZ Stadium can hold up to 83,500 people, hosting sport and entertainment events which lead to lots of fun - but lots of waste.
Cardboard in particular was a problem, as back of house staff would mix it with co-mingled recycling or general waste, making it hard or impossible to recycle. That’s where the New South Wales EPA’s Bin Trim Program came in, with its goal of helping small and medium-sized businesses identify ways to reduce waste and boost profits.
A free assessment and a $20,150 rebate allowed the stadium to buy colour-coded bins so that staff could properly sort waste and other materials, diverting 128.5 tonnes of material from landfill every year. It was a simple change with massive benefits that were greatly appreciated by staff.
Tim Brady, ANZ Stadium’s Senior Manager of Venue Operations, said Bin Trim was exactly what they needed to make the change.
“The solution to our waste challenge was simple but we needed a change in thinking and a kick-start from a resourcing perspective.”
- If you want to improve your recycling outcomes in the office, visit BusinessRecycling.com.au
- If you want to know how to recycle at home visit RecyclingNearYou.com.au
Subscribe to Positive Environment News
Positive Environment News has been compiled using publicly available information. Planet Ark does not take responsibility for the accuracy of the original information and encourages readers to check the references before using this information for their own purposes.
Author: Josh ColeJosh comes to Planet Ark after a stint in legal communication and from a background in print journalism. He studied Communications and Media as a mature age student in Wollongong where he re-discovered his love for the natural environment.
- Everyday Enviro with Elise - Bursting the bubble on balloons »
- Global coffee giant introduces pens made from recycled coffee capsules »
- Canberra to become first Australian jurisdiction powered by 100% renewable energy »
- Global plastic waste pact garners international support »
- Australian volunteers enlisted for war on microplastic pollution »
- The world's highest emu bob clean-up »