International House 'Sister Building' Proposed At Barangaroo
Author: David Rowlinson
Article first appeared in The Urban Developer
Lendlease has lodged a planning application with the NSW Department of Planning and Environment for a second engineered timber office building at Barangaroo South. The application proposes a “sister building” to International House Sydney, with a total commercial floor space of approximately 10,000 square metres and a typical floorplate of approximately 1,700 square metres.
Barangaroo South managing director Rob Deck said that plans for a second timber building at Barangaroo were sparked by the extraordinary interest in International House Sydney — Australia’s first engineered timber office building, completed in 2017.
“This second such building will be the final opportunity in Barangaroo South for prospective commercial tenants seeking an exciting, sustainable and innovative workplace for their employees,” Deck said.
Lendlease’s DesignMake business and architects Tzannes Associates, who designed International House Sydney, will also be responsible for this building’s engineering and design, offering ground level retail tenancies and six floors of office space constructed from cross laminated timber and glulam.
The proposal outlined the building’s commitment to sustainability, targeting a 6 Star Green Star Design and a 5 Star-plus NABERS rating. This building will be Lendlease’s sixth engineered timber building in Australia, joining its neighbour International House Sydney, 25 King in Brisbane, Forte Apartments and Library at The Dock in Melbourne, and Jordan Springs Community Hub in Western Sydney.
The proposal is currently subject to the department’s approval following public exhibition.
Author: David RowlinsonMake it Wood Program Manager
- Biophilic design featured in plans for Western Sydney International Airport »
- His and Her House wins the Interior Fitout - Residential category in the 2019 Australian Timber Design Awards »
- The Seed House wins the Grand Prix at the 2019 Australian Timber Design Awards »
- WA’s first timber-framed office tower approved »
- Gillies Hall at Monash Uni wins gold at Melbourne Design Awards »
- Mulpha wins approval for timber office building in Norwest »