UTAS Wood Project Wins the Built Environment Category in the 2017 Green Gown Awards Australasia
Author: David Rowlinson
Sustainability leaders from across Australia and New Zealand were on the edge of their seats on 2 November, as the winners of the 2017 Green Gown Awards Australasia were announced live from RMIT University’s Storey hall in Melbourne. 35 finalists from 18 institutions held their breath as the President of Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability (ACTS), Leanne Denby, and Vice President, Corey Peterson, announced the winners.
The University of Tasmania’s Inveresk Apartments, an innovative, environmentally, economically and socially sustainable student accommodation facility, won the Built Environment category. An integrated Environmentally Sustainable Design approach was central to the design and the project brings a holistic view to its sustainability credentials. This holistic approach included a location that provides the optimum in residential amenity, a design that is sympathetic to the surrounding heritage precinct and a construction methodology using wood that minimised site impacts and maximised sustainable outcomes.
The building achieved a significant, LCA assessed reduction in environmental impact due largely to the extensive use of timber throughout the building. This included timber piling, timber wall framing, LVL support structure for apartment floors and ceilings, CLT floor slabs, CLT stairs, timber roof trusses and extensive timber screening and cladding to the ground floor walls and south facades.
Author: David RowlinsonMake it Wood Program Manager
- Barangaroo's 'tree house' achieves structural completion in 7 months »
- Sydney Catholic school the first in Australia to be constructed out of mass timber »
- Mjøstårnet in Brumunddal, Norway becomes the world's tallest timber building »
- Monash Uni welcomes new CLT student accommodation »
- Timber - the ultimate renewable for Dardanup's new administration and library building »
- ANU unveils a new 'innovation rich' precinct called Kambri »