For many it’s tempting to buy a compatible cartridge for your printer rather than the branded version They are cheaper and look the same and some may think they are greener. But, there are hidden costs.
Here’s why you should think twice before purchasing a compatible cartridge:
- They’re not green! – most compatible cartridges are not made from recycled cartridges and end up in landfill.
- The manufacturers do not pay for the recycling of them or belong to a program like Cartridges 4 Planet Ark.
- They’re a lower quality product, which means there is no guarantee of paper yield performance.
- The toner is not specifically made for the printer and this could blow the fuser – creating a much bigger cost to the consumer.
- A broader cost to the environment – by not supporting the printer brand manufacturer, who is working towards strong sustainability outcomes and product stewardship, by taking responsibility for the recycling of the cartridges.
- There is sophisticated technology in printer cartridges themselves, so if you are buying a cheaper, lower quality product you are going to get lower quality results.
- Cheaper is not better – there are hidden costs to the environment, to your printer and to your end product.
By purchasing printer consumables from manufacturers such as Brother, Canon, Epson, HP, Konica Minolta and Kyocera you are directly supporting the recycling of cartridges and the Cartridges 4 Planet Ark program, ensuring that zero waste goes to landfill and new recycled products are made from your old cartridge waste.
Find out more about our Participating Manufacturers