Planet Ark partner Alliance Paper helping to stop the spread of COVID-19 through educational receipts
Author: Rachael Ridley
Many wonderful stories about individuals, communities and businesses doing their bit to fight the coronavirus have emerged since the pandemic hit Australia. One such story comes out of Brisbane, where a thermal paper company recognised an opportunity to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by printing educational information on the back of receipts they provide to some of Australia’s largest retailers.
Paper specialists Alliance Paper – a proud partner of Planet Ark – dispatched a batch of their educational thermal paper receipt rolls to various retailers in the hopes of reaching thousands of Australians with their message. The information on the back of the receipt rolls includes official health advice, a QR code that leads to additional information on the Australian Government’s website, and a reminder of the beneficial outcomes of social distancing.
Alliance Paper’s Managing Director, Jon Williams, said the decision to assist in educating the public on how they can prevent catching and spreading the virus was made after listening to concerned staff discuss their desire to contribute to ‘flattening the curve’.
“When some of the team said they wanted to help stop the spread of the virus, I thought what better way than to use an item that we are all seeing and handling on a daily basis,” explained Mr Williams.
The initiative has received support from Planet Ark’s CEO, Paul Klymenko, who congratulated Alliance Paper on their commitment to the health and safety of the Australian people.
“Alliance Paper is once again showing leadership by putting public safety at the forefront of their business. We hope these educational receipts will help break down misinformation in the community and convince individuals of the importance of social distancing,” said Mr Klymenko.
Planet Ark is working with Alliance Paper to provide safer and more responsible thermal paper receipts to Australian businesses. The partnership aims to phase out the use of paper products in Australia containing chemicals that are potentially harmful to our health and the environment, such as Bisphenol A (BPA) – a chemical commonly found in the coating of till receipts. Alliance Paper offers businesses an alternative with their range of safer BPA-free and Phenol-free thermal paper receipt rolls.
BPA can be absorbed into the body through the handling of receipts and these levels are increased when used with hand sanitisers and moisturisers; products frequently used by cashiers, especially during a pandemic. It is now more important than ever for businesses to fulfil their duty of care to their employees and customers by using safer receipts that are free of potentially harmful chemicals.
What can I do?
- If you are concerned about coming into contact with BPA on receipts, consider voicing your concern with your local supermarket and encouraging them to make the switch to safer receipts. Avoid touching receipts wherever possible and wash your hands after handling.
- If you are a cashier, consider wearing gloves while you work.
- If you are a business owner or manager and would like to learn more about BPA-free and Phenol-free receipts, contact Alliance Paper.
- If you are interested in learning more about BPA, download Planet Ark’s research report on the health and environmental risks of BPA and its analogues.
Author: Rachael RidleyRachael joined Planet Ark in 2019 after eight years working in media and publishing as a producer, editor and writer. Rachael is excited to use her skills in content creation and communication to instigate positive environmental behaviour change.
- APCO launches Our Packaging Future report »
- Sustainability Victoria grants for recycling infrastructure projects »
- NSW DPIE grants for resource recovery projects »
- Nature activities for your new work situation »
- Planet Ark’s top tips for working from home »
- Officeworks releases latest sustainability report »