Aveo Norwest wins the sustainability category in the 2018 Timber Design Awards
Author: David Rowlinson
Planet Ark congratulates Jackson Teece, Strongbuild and TTW on winning the sustainability category in the 2018 Timber Design Awards, announced at The Star on 16thOctober.
Aveo Norwest neatly encapsulates the significant environmental benefits that engineered timber construction provides. The PEFC certified cross laminated timber (CLT) has stored approximately 630 tonnes of carbon (equivalent to 2310 tonnes of sequestered CO2) and reduced the project’s CO2emissions by approximately 2,700 tonnes compared to conventional construction methods.
In addition, the use of offsite prefabrication has helped to significantly reduce energy and water consumption and on-site waste was reduced by over 70%. The lower mass of CLT enabled a much leaner design of concrete footings and transfer structure in the ground level and throughout the structure, further reducing the use of reinforced concrete. This lower mass also helped to reduce transport requirements, truck movements and crane sizes.
More broadly, the use of energy efficient design has been fundamental to the project’s success. Zonal control of mechanical ventilation helps to reduce energy use and all residential corridors have access to natural light and ventilation. The high level of accuracy and airtightness that mass timber provides has significantly reduced ongoing operational costs for heating and cooling.
Design – Jackson Teece; Head Contractor – Strongbuild; Structural Engineers – TTW
Photography – Brett Boardman
Author: David RowlinsonMake it Wood Program Manager
- Introduction of FSC's Australian National Forest Stewardship Standard »
- Dorset Council becomes the first council in Tasmania to adopt a Wood Encouragement Policy »
- Bunjil Place wins the grand prix in the 2018 Timber Design Awards »
- Timber industry revival: WA town unveils one of the biggest timber buildings in 80 years »
- Perth jumps into timber with 10-storey hotel »
- WeWork takes out entire lease of Daramu House in Barangaroo »