A new way to strengthen trust in recycling
Author: Ryan Collins
Recent reports in the media about the China waste issue and material stockpiles has quite possibly lowered the confidence in recycling amongst Australians. The introduction of Good Environmental Choice Australia’s (GECA) new Waste Collection Services Standard for waste contractors who provide commercial services is one way to strengthen trust in the industry.
GECA developed the standard to recognise best practice within the waste industry. Some of the concerns that drove this development included dumping, diversion to landfill and contamination.
Currently available in NSW only, it will enable businesses to look recyclers who have GECA certification as a way to ensure their waste and recycling is being handled responsibly.
The benefits of certification provide an exciting opportunity for the waste industry to commit and demonstrate your leadership. It will enable contractors to show transparency, quality service, accuracy of data reportability and credibility. Rewards include stronger trusted relationships with existing clients and the potential for new customers.
Find out more about GECA’s Waste Collection Services Standard.
Author: Ryan CollinsRyan is the Recycling Programs Manager at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- 4 dos and don'ts of creating behaviour change (part 1) »
- NSW EPA announces recycling, organics and infrastructures grants and awards »
- Macquarie University Incubator wins major Educational Facilities Awards »
- Planet Ark urges Ipswich Council to reverse decision to send valuable materials to landfill - and the Council agrees »
- Planet Ark pays tribute to former Head of Campaigns, Brad Gray »
- Brock Commons - Mass Wood for the Masses »