Did your council or workplace make the top ten?
Author: Claire Bell
We've been celebrating 15 years of Cartridges 4 Planet Ark with a fantastic 38 million cartridges recycled since 2003!
2017 was another record-breaking year for us with over 3.8 million cartridges collected in a 12 month period. That's enough to fill over 7 Olympic swimming pools or 111,268 bathtubs and weighs the equivalent of 8 blue whales!
We're also excited by new developments in road surface technology, combining waste materials such as soft plastics, glass and printer toner into high performing asphalt which is 65% more durable than normal asphalt. This new surface called TonerPlas™ uses waste toner from 12,500 cartridges for every kilometre of road surface.
None of the above is possible without the workplaces and councils who have Cartridges 4 Planet Ark collection boxes and we want to celebrate your success too, especially the top ten returners.
Top Ten Workplaces
To recycle as many cartridges as we did, means lots of workplaces are doing the right thing - so thanks to everyone who participated.
The top ten workplaces for the last year, including the total number of cartridges collected are:
- 19,089 - Belmont Forum Shopping Centre, WA
- 18,352 - Greater Bank Limited, Hamilton, NSW
- 16,437 - Telstra, Melbourne, VIC
- 16,018 - Empire Distribution. Auburn, NSW
- 14,255 - Lightning Source Australia, Scoresby, VIC
- 14,038 - Uni of Technology Sydney, NSW
- 12,570 - QLD Uni of Technology
- 10,942 - NAB, Melbourne, VIC
- 10,444 - B.A.Y Property Group, Grovedale, VIC
- 10,025 - Uni of Wollongong, NSW
If your workplaces made the top ten then share the achievements with our free promotional resources.
If your workplace does not have a collection box, you can register free now.
Top Ten Councils
Local councils are increasingly providing public collection points for their residents as well as recycling their own cartridges. The top ten councils were:
- 11,494 - Hornsby Shire Council, NSW*
- 9,916 - Mindarie Regional Council, WA*
- 5,274 - Lismore City Council, NSW (NEW)
- 3/733 - Randwick City Council, NSW*
- 3,281 - City of Yarra Depot, VIC*
- 2,949 - Western Metro Reg Council, WA (NEW)
- 2,277 - City of Ryde, NSW (NEW)
- 2,247 - City of Tea Tree Gully, SA*
- 2,242 - City of Monash, VIC*
- 1,654 - Moonee Valley City Council, VIC (NEW)
*Top ten last year
Together these and all the other collection points have helped divert thousands of tonnes of non-renewable resources out of landfill and back into the economy. So a huge thank you and we hope that you'll help us make 2018 even more successful.
Visit our Council Toolkit for more information on how councils can promote the program.
NB; Mindarie and Western Metro are Regional Councils in WA
Author: Claire BellClaire has been working at Planet Ark since 2011, after working in the communications industry and raising a young family. She is passionate about her children and helping the environment. Claire is super-organised and excellent multitasker, which helps in her joint roles as Office Manager and Campaign Coordinator.
- New research sheds light on Australian attitudes towards environmental sustainability »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- NSW gets its own revolutionary road »
- Where are we with e-waste recycling? »
- Budding Australian solutions for plastic waste »
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark celebrates 15 years of recycling with Layne Beachley »