UK renewables created three times the power of coal in 2017
Author: Josh Cole
Sheffield University and BM Reports have released statistics showing that the renewable sector in the United Kingdom outperformed coal power generation more than three-fold in the year up to December 12.
The UK government previously called for the phasing out of coal power that doesn't employ carbon capture by 2025 which, alongside a decline in investment, has encouraged alternative energy sources.
In fact coal-fired power stations now produce less than 7% of the UK's energy, a heartening statistic for environmentalists and the renewable energy sector despite concerns that an increased focus on natural gas as a power source will offest the environmental benefits of coal's decline.
Meanwhile in Australia AGL has announced that their proposed renewable replacement option for the coal-fired Liddell Power Station would be more affordable on a wholesale basis, a major milestone for renewable energy after the issues of energy security and affordability dominated Australian political debate in 2017.
The issue has also spurred Australian investment in energy storage, including South Australia's purchase of the world's largest battery from Tesla (1), and the Northern Territory's newly announced plan to purchase the world's second largest battery (2) in 2018.
- Sign up for solar power, solar hot water heating or green energy options with your energy provider
- If you’re a business or government employee looking at turning a site solar, visit Planet Ark Power
Subscribe to Positive Environment News
Positive Environment News has been compiled using publicly available information. Planet Ark does not take responsibility for the accuracy of the original information and encourages readers to check the references before using this information for their own purposes.
Author: Josh ColeJosh comes to Planet Ark after a stint in legal communication and from a background in print journalism. He studied Communications and Media as a mature age student in Wollongong where he re-discovered his love for the natural environment.
- Transparent wood, an eco-friendly alternative to glass? »
- Former prison providing site of community-led energy revolution »
- The remote community that saved its water and its future »
- California reaches 2020 renewable energy goal ahead of schedule »
- The four-legged friends finding leaks and saving water »
- Everyday Enviro with Elise - Greening the co-work space »