Wooden Pop-Up Globe Theatre Replica Arrives in Melbourne
Author: David Rowlinson
A wooden Pop-Up Globe Theatre has been erected in Melbourne that is a full-scale reconstruction of the second Globe Theatre in London, which opened in 1614. It has been built at Kings Domain next to the Sidney Myer Music Bowl and, from 21 September to 12 November, will host a season of four classic plays: As You Like It, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello and Henry V.
According to its New Zealand creator, Miles Gregory, “It’s a Jacobean theatre that has popped up in the middle of Melbourne. You will see a spectacular stage, the heavens above it, and the way that people are all around you on three levels. It’s awe-inspiring.”
The open-air pop-up Globe Theatre began in Auckland last year and was such a success that it has now arrived Melbourne, the first city outside New Zealand to experience the amazing atmosphere in the three-storey, 900-person-capacity theatre.
Author: David RowlinsonMake it Wood Program Manager
- Biophilic design featured in plans for Western Sydney International Airport »
- His and Her House wins the Interior Fitout - Residential category in the 2019 Australian Timber Design Awards »
- The Seed House wins the Grand Prix at the 2019 Australian Timber Design Awards »
- WA’s first timber-framed office tower approved »
- Gillies Hall at Monash Uni wins gold at Melbourne Design Awards »
- Mulpha wins approval for timber office building in Norwest »