Printer Cartridges are Driving Innovation
Author: Ryan Collins
Recycled toner cartridges, collected though 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark', are part of a world first trial. Recycled cartridges and tyres are being used together to produce new roads across country Australia. The new surfacing, called Tonerseal, has a low carbon footprint and last longer than the average road.
Current best practice is for recycled spray seals to use 15% to 18% crumb rubber. Tonerseal aims to prove that with innovation, even more recycled content can be used. Every 1km of road lane paved with Tonerseal will use around:
- 6,400 recycled toner cartridges, and
- 145 car tyres
Trials are currently being undertaken in Moreton Bay Regional Council in Queensland and in the ACT. It is estimated that the 1.4km stretch of Tonerseal road in Kaleen, ACT will save nearly 1 tonne of carbon emissions.
Downer, who also make TonerPave (the world’s first road base to use recycled toner), consulted with key stakeholders such as Close the Loop (the logistics partner of 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark'), Tyre Stewardship Australia and Yarra Ranges Council in Victoria to create this new benchmark in sustainability. Ground-breaking partnerships are what ‘Cartridges 4 Planet Ark’ was founded on, bringing together different organizations for a positive outcome.
It’s this type of innovation that is turning waste into a valuable resource and enabling the circular economy. And you’re part of it!
- Find a 'Cartriges 4 Planet Ark' retail drop off location near you or find out if your workplace is eligible for a free collection box box. (Australia Only.)
Find more information about:
Author: Ryan CollinsRyan is the Head of Sustainable Resource Programs at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark nails product stewardship at a time when most are finding their feet »
- Who's in the top ten returners for Cartridges 4 Planet Ark? »
- Recycle your schools' printer cartridges in May to help protect our beaches »
- Research reveals Australia's most trusted recycling program »
- Important green dates for the 2019 school calendar »
- We're celebrating 40 million cartridges saved from landfill »