Keeping Warm for the Planet
Author: Rebecca Gredley
The silly season may be long gone but it's made way for a new time of year...the chilly season!
Did you know that during winter, up to 40% of the heat escaping from your home is through uncovered windows? And that cold air let into your house from cracks and gaps can account to 15-25% of heat loss?
Winter’s right on our doorstep so we’ve come up with 10 tips to help you stay warm at home without breaking the bank or using excess energy.
- Close off areas and rooms not in use, to reduce where you need to heat. This will also ensure that heated areas are kept warm more efficiently.
- If you’re at home during the day, keep the curtains open to let the sun in. However, once the sun’s down, keep curtains closed to retain warmth, as up to 40% of the heat escaping from your home in winter is from windows that are uncovered. If possible, use heavy, lined curtains for the best impact.
- Instead of using an electric blanket or heater in your room, try adding another blanket, or using a wheat bag or hot water bottle first.
- Cover up bare floors with rugs to help retain heat.
- Wear the right clothes before you switch the heating on. Embrace winter layering, woollies and slippers.
- Seal up any cracks and gaps that let cold air in, particularly around windows, doors, and walls. Door snakes are an easy option to stop pesky cold draughts!
- Turn power points off from the wall as the standby setting on many products use electricity that you could easily save. Standby electricity may add up to 10% of your total electricity bill and is reported to cost Australians $860 million a year.
- Make sure your heaters are up to scratch, dust free and clean, so they run efficiently.
- Watch the temperature on your heater! Heating can account for 30% of your bill during winter, and as a handy tip, every degree over 20 can add 10% to your bill.
- Reuse your oven heat by opening the oven door after you've switched it off, to let the remaining warm air heat up your home.
- Don’t let the holiday season go to waste »
- National Recycling Week 11-17 November 2019 »
- Regis Aged Care furthering its renewable energy commitment »
- 8 ways to spring clean sustainably »
- Planet Ark Power presents at the 24th World Energy Congress »
- How one school in Queensland is saving 40% on their energy bills »