Dabbling in DIY
Author: Chris Philpot
"As a new homeowner, I like to dabble in a bit of DIY. And my little son is always there to offer a helping hand," says Chris Philpot, our Paper and Wood Campaign Manager.
"My latest creation involved some chalkboard paint and some certified plywood."
Tao loves his artwork and has a special skill at drawing on our freshly painted white walls and new cream couch. So I suggested that we build a chalkboard so he can express his creativity (without destroying things). To my relief, he thought that was "a great daddy idea" and half an hour later we were in the timber section of our local hardware store buying a piece of plywood and chalkboard paint.
I obviously have a concern for the environment (or I wouldn't work at Planet Ark) so I was very pleased to see that the first piece of marine plywood I picked out had the FSC logo stamped on it. I always look for certified wood. Certification ensures the wood comes from forests that have been responsibly managed. In other words, looked after with environmental, social and economic values at heart.
It wasn't long before the (certified) marine ply was painted and attached to the wall in the courtyard.
"I love to paint on my new chalkboard," said Tao, "Can you help me draw a fire engine, Daddy?"
I smiled and thought what a fun afternoon we'd had. I also hoped that our DIY chalkboard would prevent him from drawing on the walls. Maybe he'd learnt something about making positive choices too (even though he is only two)!
Next time you're thinking of using wood for your DIY projects, make sure it's certified.If you can't find wood that carries FSC certification, see if your supplier carries PEFC or AFS certified wood. You can find out more by visiting http://makeitwood.org/choosing-wood/.
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- Our coordinators have done a tree-mendous job! »
- Community Garden Transformation Competition 2016 »
- Australians celebrate 21 years of National Tree Day »
- School Garden Transformation Winners 2016 »
- Students grow more with nature »
- Find A Tree Day Event in Your Area »
- Grow a Green Thumb »
- The Birds and the Trees »
- Community Garden Competition »
- Adding Trees - A Prescription for Health, Happiness and Fulfilment »
- Meet the Tree Day Team - We're Here to Help »
- Ten Years of Bringing Value to the Community »
- WIN a $7,500 makeover for your school this National Tree Day! »
- The Importance of Green Public Spaces »
- The benefits of gardening for little people »
- Inspirational teachers share their story on improving student performance (CPD points) »
- Grow More With National Tree Day »
- Back at work? keep that vacation feeling with some 'Green' time... »
- What does January mean for a Christmas Tree? »
- New Year, New Products »
- Love a Tree »
- 'Tis the Season to De-Clutter »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Cleaner Transport »
- Discount Tickets for 'dirtgirl's get grubby the musical' at the Opera House »
- Batteries Included »
- Electrify Recycling »
- Recycle Right »
- Full Tummy Empty Bins »
- Recycle your old mobiles & help the Salvos »
- Have an Appy Christmas »
- Re-Wrap It Up »
- Schools Tree Day 2015 Winners Announced »
- Give Thoughtful Gifts »
- Celebrate Recycling at Work »
- 'Appy' Christmas gift from Planet Ark »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- 2015 Grow Up With Nature Photo Competition Winner Announced »
- Awake to the Fun of Recycling »
- Planet Ark Project - Answering Kid's Questions »
- Reduce Your Pet's Paw Print »
- Fun & Easy Gardening Tips For Kids »
- Tree Cheers For Australia! »
- A Rock 'N' Roll Tree Day »
- Grow Up With Nature - Competition »
- Get Grubby Then Get Clean »
- Wise Words From An Eleven-Year-Old »
- The art of upcycling »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »
- The Real Tree Day Stars - Our Site Coordinators »
- Turning Trash Into Treasure »