What's the Deal With Business Waste?
Author: Ryan Collins
What motivates businesses to increase their recycling? What are the barriers to better management? What do they see are the benefits? Our new report, titled What’s The Deal With Business Waste?, answers these questions and examines the attitudes and beliefs of small to medium businesses and the actions they can take.
The report brings together the findings of a NSW Environmental Protection Authority social research project with other research from around the country.
What motivates businesses to increase their recycling? For nearly eight out of ten SMEs it is a key component of being a sustainable and ethical business, with three out of four believing that good waste management improves public perception of the company. Companies that have embraced a green mandate also report an increased ability to recruit and retain talented employees and increase overall productivity.
Surprisingly, cost does not appear to be a strong motivator to reduce waste generation, with more than seven out of ten businesses feeling that the cost of their current waste bill is relatively low, clearly a barrier. Time pressures and staff resources is another major barrier, particularly to smaller businesses and those in the service industry with high staff turnover. Another reason to make recycling work as easy and efficiently as possible.
There is a large gap in knowledge between the waste a business produces and the cost of disposal. Almost six out of ten businesses keep no records at all on how much waste they produce. Yet seven out of ten SMEs think they are already doing all they can in regards to waste management and recycling. Businesses who are aware of their gap in knowledge are more likely to be open to new information about managing their waste.
One in seven SMEs are planning to implement a waste and recycling waste management policy in the next twelve months and one in five had implemented a waste or recycling policy in the past twelve months. This is a significant number of businesses that have been or will be looking for information and advice.
BusinessRecycling.com.au receives visits from thousands of businesses each year seeking waste and recycling information and as policies like landfill levies and waste reduction incentives continue, more businesses will be looking to take positive actions.
Check out our Step by Step Toolkit to help your workplace recycle more.
Author: Ryan CollinsRyan is the Recycling Programs Manager at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
- Keeping Plastic Bags Out of Kerbside: Scrunch and Recycle »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- It's Time For Another Fling »
- Post Back Your Post Packs »
- There's a Machine for That! »
- Help a Deafblind Person With Your Unwanted Smartphone »
- Grow a Green Thumb »
- Community Garden Competition »
- Adding Trees - A Prescription for Health, Happiness and Fulfilment »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Don't Miss Out On Funding Grants »
- The Importance of Green Public Spaces »
- Learn From The New Wave In Innovation »
- Cash For Containers In NSW - It Pays To Recycle »
- Mother's Day green gift ideas »
- Going Bananas About Waste »
- Coffee Go-Ground »
- Working Together To Reduce Food Waste »
- Reducing Waste and Costs for Business Happiness »
- Compacting Waste Costs By 50% »
- Give Dumpers A Lesson »
- A Tablet for Your Thoughts »
- Have A Light Bulb Moment With Broken Bulbs »
- Change Accelerates 'Wood First' Policies »
- Get Your 2016 Environment Action Planner »
- How To Save On Waste Costs »
- Back at work? keep that vacation feeling with some 'Green' time... »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Drink Coffee? Take our Coffee Recycling Survey »
- Best Fling Ever »
- Full Tummy Empty Bins »
- Recycle your old mobiles & help the Salvos »
- Trim Your Waste »
- Celebrate Recycling at Work »
- 'Appy' Christmas gift from Planet Ark »
- Save the date! 'Waste Not, Want Not' Day is coming »
- $50,000 Rebate Open for NSW Businesses to Increase Recycling »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- Let the Flings Begin »
- Recycling Role Models »
- Are You Making the No 1 Mistake? »
- Inspiring Performers »
- Answers to the Big Recycling Questions »
- Garage Sale Trailing Right Around Australia »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- Power Tool Battery Recycling Pilot Launches in Brisbane »
- Reduce Your Pet's Paw Print »
- Tree Cheers For Australia! »
- E-Waste Busters »
- Identifying Asbestos »
- One House, Four Hours, Four Tonnes of Recycling »
- The art of upcycling »
- Creative Composting »
- Turning Trash Into Treasure »