Low Impact Pressies
Think outside the (gift) box for some unique ideas that make a big impact on the recipient but a small impact on the environment.
When buying presents for your loved ones, consider the amount of resources, energy and water that goes into their production as well as the environmental cost of transporting and eventually disposing of them. To reduce this impact you could:
- Give practical, good quality items that serve a need and will last for a long time.
- Buy items with less packaging and products that can be reused or recycled.
- Instead of buying a physical present, give an experience like a massage, tickets to the theatre or even a day out with you.
- Make your own food - chutney, cakes, or chocolate truffles make great presents.
- Give a gift that grows - like a native tree.
- Buy good quality books from a second hand store.
- Give a gift certificate so you know the recipient will get something they want or need.
- Make a charity or an environmental donation on the recipient's behalf, check out Oxfam or WWF for some ideas.
- Buy presents that are environmentally beneficial, like a worm farm, compost bin or low energy appliances.
- Give a battery recharger along with battery operated gifts - it'll save lots of money in the long run.
- If you find yourself with a few unwanted gifts, try hosting a swap party at work or with friends. Swap parties involve the free exchange of everything from toys, to clothes, tools and electronics.
For recycling and swap information, visit RecyclingNearYou.com.au or call 1300 733 712.